jueves, 4 de febrero de 2010

1st week of February, 2010. "How do you say…"

Hello everyone.
In order to make good use of this blog, I am going to start a new section called "How do you say..." I will select certain sentences, words or expressions from your posts and put them together so that we can learn from each other. Thank you to the contributors!!! Here are this week's examples. PLEASE RESPOND!!!

-"But I'll try to let some comment else..."
So, I understand this sentence. It is a translation of a Spanish concept. And I understand it because I speak Spanish. But what about a person who doesn't speak Spanish? How would they say this? WHAT DO YOU THINK?

-“an hindrance”
Okay, obviously I understand this. No problem. But, since this is a class blog, let's review the use of "a" and "an". WHEN DO WE USE "A" AND WHEN DO WE USE "AN"?

-“dependig [sic] of”
Yes, my friends, SPELLING is one of the most common difficulties in English, even for native speakers. My advice? Use a dictionary (I do) or use the spell check option when using a computer (I do this too). So, we know it should be "depending," but that is not the only thing. WHAT PREPOSITION FOLLOWS THE VERB "DEPEND" IN ENGLISH?

-“you feel during an hour like a king”
Great, here we have two things to look at. The first is "during." This is a direct translation from Spanish (from lost to the river is funny for Spanish speakers, but an English speaker won't understand you). WHAT WORD DO WE USE TO TALK ABOUT DURATION OF TIME IN ENGLISH? And the second thing is the word order. WHAT IS THE CORRECT WORD ORDER OF THIS SENTENCE?

I hope you will all leave comments!!

3 comentarios:

  1. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hi! We are spainish!! For me the hardest is to say my thoughts in english´s way...Like this sentence! I wrote the sentence "I´ll try to let..." Yes, is a exact translation of Spanish, I guess that, it could be written like this. "I´ll try to write a comment"...I don´t know..The last sentence, I think can be changed like that "You feel like a king for an hour"

    Bye!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. i don´t understand this post.......Ruben explain.....hahah,bye bye, i´m going to work....
    kisses and hugs

    ResponderEliminar